Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Workin' my way to workin'

Recently I have sent out my CV to a variety of different companies here in California, Hawaii, and North Carolina. I've only gotten one bite from a company near where I live here in Long Beach. I have an interview with them tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get the job. It'll be nice to have some set hours to work for a change.

In the mean time I've been working on the wiki site archaeogeophysics.org and working in the IIRMES lab running samples on the LA-ICP-MS for Dr. Neff. Pretty soon I'm going to start running the soil samples that my buddies Andrew and Adrian have been helping me prep from El Baul down in Guatemala. I'm hoping to see some differences in the concentrations of phosphorus in the samples. High concentrations of phosphorus may be indicative of areas of bulk food preparation. The areas that I surveyed were areas that showed up in the GPR as having structural foundations adjacent to a large plaza connected to a calzada or causeway. Perhaps some of these structures were used as food markets. I'm anxious to do the analysis and see the results.

My thesis thus far is moving rather slowly. The data I collected in Guatemala for the survey grids is now integrated into ArcGIS. There are a few bugs in the data as a result of human area. Basically just mislabeled coordinates of grids, duplicate grid numbers, etc. These are ambiguities that are easily corrected. I'm afraid that the GPR data that we have may need to be reprocessed. The images I have are a little cluttered and the structures are difficult to isolate.
My goal is to be completely done with the thesis by the end of the summer.

No comments:

An Archaeologist in SoCal

My name is James Daniels. I just finished up my Masters of Arts in Anthropology with a concentration in archaeological science at California State University Long Beach. I'm currently working with a CRM firm here in Southern California. I would like to continue my education by obtaining a Ph.D in archaeology. In the mean time, I'd like to gain some more experience in cultural resource management.