Saturday, June 14, 2008

Current Work

I'm currently working as a research assistant at the Institute for Integrated Research in Materials, Environments, and Societies or IIRMES. I help run the laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer, a machine that is able to measure the chemistry of solid samples such as ceramic and obsidian artifacts. I'm also working on a wiki website in colaboration with caltrans, my professor and a fellow student that will provide people information on archaeogeophysic techniques and step by step instructions on conducting surveys with geophysical instruments, processing data, and data analysis.

I will be going to Pacific Coastal Guatemala in July to assist in conducting a ground penetrating radar survey of an archaeological area of interest named La Blanca. This will be my third visit to Guatemala and I'm extremely excited about it.

This blog will document the progress of my work as an academic and archaeologist and provide people information about my work and potentially assist others in their academic and archaeological pursuits. I'll be adding more information about myself and my work in the next few days.

An Archaeologist in SoCal

My name is James Daniels. I just finished up my Masters of Arts in Anthropology with a concentration in archaeological science at California State University Long Beach. I'm currently working with a CRM firm here in Southern California. I would like to continue my education by obtaining a Ph.D in archaeology. In the mean time, I'd like to gain some more experience in cultural resource management.